Follow us on Twitter
- Diether Lambrechts will give a Nature Webinar on "Using single-cell profiling to investigate lung immune responses in mild and critical COVID-19 patients"
8 February 2021, 6pm CET. More info here
- Article in the newspaper Het Belang van Limburg on the occasion of World Cancer Day
- Virtual lab visit...from home!
Stichting Tegen Kanker organizes virtual lab visits. Get introduced to the research of the DILA lab focussing on: "Why don't all patients respond to immunotherapy?"
- Congratulations Sarah Cappuyns and Liselore Loverix on receiving the FWO fellowship!
- Diether Lambrechts has received an Agilent Thought Leader Award in support of his research in cancer genomics
- Interview with Diether Lambrechts for the newspaper Het Belang van Limburg
- Based on our research, Biocartis developed a new test that will revolutionize MSI diagnostics and tailor patients to I/O theraty. Not just for colorectal cancer, but for almost any cancer type. We are proud to present the Idylla MSI Test
- On January 8th, Thomas became father of two adorable girls - Sam and Cato. Congratulations Thomas!
- The Christmas party theme this year was Super Heroes. The group dressed up for the ocasion and enjoed the nice food and music at the Hoorn
- The group had a fun team builing event that inclued laser tag shooting and escape room activities, folowed by a relaxed dinner and drinks
- According to the Web of Science we were ranked among the world’s Highly Cited Researchers in the cross-field category, by Clarivate Analytics, in 2018
- Tom Venken joined the team as an Omics Data Analysis scientist
- We welcome Jieyi Xiong and Rogier Schepers to the lab. Jieyi witll work as a posdoc, after completing a PhD in Computational Biology in the Institute of Biological Sciences, in Shanghai and Rogier will strength the technitian team
- Raquel Santiago started working as the new assistant of Diether Lambrechts
- Elodie Modave joined the team as an Omics Data Analysis after obtaining her PhD in Wildlife Genetics Cellular Life Sciences, in the University of Canberra, Australia
Francesca Lodi started her PhD in our lab after completing her Master in Molecular Biotechnology, in the University of Turin, Italy. Francesca will work on the PhD project with the title Single-cell RNA sequencing in the context of space and time to interrogate tumour microenvironment (TME) impact on therapy response.
- Diether and Dominiek attended the final meeting for the FP-7 ANGIOPREDICT project in Dublin
- Diether, Adriaan and Dominiek attended the final meeting for the FP-7 OCTIPS project in Vienna
- Matthieu and Els had the public defense for their PhD
- Eva Galle joined our lab as a PhD-student. She has a master in Bioscience Engineering and will work on the discovery of epigenetic changes that induce metastasis.
- Laurien Van Dyck - who did her master thesis in our lab - joined our lab as a PhD-student and will work on DNA methylation in macrophages and treat us to a lot of drinks
- The warm summer is over. A new academic year has started.
- We welcome Liesbeth Minnoye in our group. She is a Bioscience Engineering student who will join the work on the phenotypic impact of changes in DNA methylation on the hypoxic response with Flora, Bernard and Hui
- Bram, Flora, Hui and Diether attended the Symbiosys evaluation board
- Diether and Bram attended the B-CAST kick-off meeting in Amsterdam
- VRC had it's 5-year departmental evaluation board
- Gilian gave birth to a beautiful baby girl named Faylinn. Congratulations!
- Congratulations to Els who has published her work in Thorax
- Adriaan was selected for a best abstract presentation at the Oncoforum and gave a talk about “Minimally invasive detection of tumor-specific somatic copy number alterations in the plasma of patients with ovarian cancer”
- Diether & Dominiek attend an Angiopredict Meeting in Berlin
- Diether gave a talk in Barcelona for S.A. Eli Lilly Benelux N.V.
- Diether gave a talk about "Biomarkers for antiangiogenetics" at the 9th International Experts Panel Meeting in Sperlonga (Italy)
- Diether attended the Annual Meeting of ASCO in Chicago
- Diether Lambrechts gave a talk at the AACR Annual Meeting in Orlando
- An interview from Diether appeared in the Knack on April 15
- Valérie Sprengers started as the new assistant of Diether Lambrechts
- Diether Lambrechts gave a lecture at the 18th International AEK Cancer Congress in Heidelberg
- VRC presented their Christmas Party 2014. All employees were invited at a fancy location for some good food and superb entertainment!
- Diether Lambrechts gave a talk at the Fundraising Dinner organized by Leuvens Kankerinstituut.
- Our group organized the monthly VRC-Happy Hour together with the group of Peter Carmeliet.
- Bernard Thienpont attended The 4th Wellcome Trust Epigenomics of Common Diseases Conference, Cambridge, UK.
- On October 16, we had a lab visit of the donors of Stichting Tegen Kanker.
- From 22 till 29 September we have the honour to organize the Annual Meetings from 3 international genetic consortia in the Irish College of Leuven, Belgium.
- Laurien Van Dyck is a student at KU Leuven and will join our lab as a master student to perform her thesis.
- On May 16 we went canoeing like the old vikings did at the Dijle together with the group of Massimiliano Mazzone.
- The yearly VIB seminar took place in BlankenbergeFrom from 28 till 30 April . With this seminar VIB offers a varied program for everyone involved at VIB
- On April 25, Diether Lambrechts gave a talk at the BGDO Oncology Course (Maillen, Belgium).
- We welcomed Evy Vanderheyden. Evy joined our lab as senior lab-assistent and will be working with Gilian and Thomas to strenghten our sequencing and high-throughput genotyping efforts.
- We will have our yearly team event dinner on February 27. Place to be is Inari Sushi Bar, Leuven
- We welcome Rut Klinger, a researcher from the Cancer and Therapeutic Laboratory, Conway Institute, University College, Dublin. During her stay in our laboratory, Rut will be sequencing mRNA from CRC samples as a part of a FP7 funded programme AngioPredict
- Pär Meijen is a student at KH Limburg and he joined our lab as a bachelor student for 5 months to perform his PhD thesis.
- "Artsenkrant" has published an interview with Jo Bury and Jérôme Van Biervliet (both VIB) regarding personalized healthcare in which they refer to research done by our group. Click here to read the interview
- Two professors from the University of Leuven received the Foundation AstraZeneca Awards 2012 (articles in Knack & De Tijd)
- Biocartis and VIB join forces to develop unique diagnostic cancer test
- On December 19, 2013 Betül Yesilyurt had the public defense of her doctoral thesis entitled "Sequencing of mismatch repair deficient tumors identifies a synthetic lethal interaction with PARP inhibition"
- VRC presents their Christmas Party 2013. All employees are invited at a fancy location for some good food and superb entertainment! (click here to see our group picture)
- Diether Lambrechts received an ERC Consolidator Grant
- VIB and Biocartis announced their exclusive license agreement on a novel panel of microsatellite instability (MSI) biomarkers for several cancers, in particular colorectal cancer (CRC). On this topic 2 articles were published in De Standaard & De Redactie
- The Lab of Translational Genetics obtains an ERC Consolidator Grant with their project entitled: "Cellular Hypoxia Alters DNA Methylation through Loss of Epigenome OxidatioN"
- Bernard Thienpont received FWO funding with his project entitled: "Metabolism enhances tumorigenesis by alterations that mitigate 5mC oxidation and result in the formation of epimutations"
- Flora D'Anna joined our group as a PhD-student. The title of her project is "Cellular hypoxia alters DNA methylation through loss of epigenome oxidation"
- VRC started a soccer team! All colleagues are free to join the team in their weekly game
- On October 12, 2013 Diether Lambrechts gave a talk at the Oncology Symposium organised in Ghent, Belgium
- Els Wauters gave a talk entitled "DNA methylation profiling of non-small cell lung cancer reveals an immune signature in COPD patients" at the meeting of the European Respiratory Society, Barcelona, Spain
- Diether Lambrechts gave a symposium on Personalised Treatment in Colorectal Cancer at the ESMO Annual Meeting in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Diether Lambrechts gave a talk on his work in disease and cancer genetics at the Annual Meeting of the German Genetics Society, which will be held Sept 23-25, 2013 in Braunschweig, Germany
- Diether Lambrechts gave a keynote lecture at the Annual kConFab meeting, Cairns, Australia
- On May 30, Diether Lambrechts gave a workshop High-througput technologies for complex genetics at the Symposium Genetics of Autoimmunity, Leuven, Belgium
- To the occassion of the breast amputation of a famous actress, an interview with Diether Lambrechts regarding this topic was published in the newspaper "De Morgen"
- Betül Yesilyurt presented her poster entitled "Sequencing of mismatch repair deficient tumors identifies a synthetic lethal interaction" at Knowledge for Growth, Ghent, Belgium
- Diether Lambrechts gave a talk the TraFo Symposium 2013, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
- Diether Lambrechts gave a lecture at the Pre IMPAKT training course in Brussels (click here to see the training course program)
- Jeroen Depreeuw joined our group as a PhD-student. The title of his project is "Treatment of gynaecologic tumors using patient-derived xenograft models based on primary tumor mutation profiling".
- Els Wauters gave birth to a lovely babyboy, named Sebastiaan. Congratulations to the whole family!
- Diether Lambrechts and Dominiek Smeets will give a talk at the Illumina User Meeting in Paris, France
- Betül Yesilyurt presented a poster entitled "Sequencing of mismatch repair deficient tumors identifies a synthetic lethal interaction with other DNA repair pathways" at the AACR Annual Meeting, Washington DC
- KU Leuven Campuskrant announces in the section " Benoemd of onderscheiden" that Diether Lambrechts receives the AstraZeneca Award for Translational research
- On January 3, Gilian Peuteman gave birth to a wonderful babyboy named Matthew. Congratulations to mother and son!
- Diether Lambrechts gave a lecture entitled "Implementation of genetic biomarkers and sequencing into clinical trials" at the EORTC Postgraduate Course Medical Oncology, that took place on January 26, 2013 in Brussels, Belgium
- Diether Lambrechts received the AstraZeneca Award for Translational research for his work "Discovery and validation of genetic biomarkers for targeted cancer therapies"
- Kristine Metzger joined the lab as a senior research assistant. She will be working on epigenetic mechanisms underlying oxygen sensing and oncogenesis.
- The monthly magazine "Goed Gevoel" published an interview with Diether Lambrechts (click here to see the interview)
- Michael Olvedy is one of the candidates selected in the VIB International PhD Program and will join the lab of Chris Marine (promotor) and Diether Lambrechts (co-promotor). Michael will focus his research on "an oncogenomics-based in vivo screen to identify melanoma progression and metastasis drivers"
- Diether Lambrechts will be keynote speaker at the Annual symposium LCRP 2012 of UHasselt, Belgium
- On October 14, Dr. tech. Heinrich Huber, from Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland gave a lecture entitled "Apoptosis impairment in colorectal cancer: Lessons learnt from Computational Systems Modelling" (poster)
- Els Wauters' editorial entitled "Accelerated Lung Function Decline in Smokers. Spotlight on Vitamin D Deficiency." has been accepted for publication in American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
- Picture of the group enjoing the sun at Oude Markt
- Matthieu Moisse joined the 3rd VIB International PhD Symposium "VIBes in Biosciences" in Gent, Belgium (www.vibes2012.org)
- Our group organized the monthly VRC-Happy Hour (announcement)
- Bram Boeckx reinforced our team as a staff-scientist. He will be responsible for NGS-sequencing projects and bio-informatic downstream analysis
- Diether Lambrechts gave a talk at the "Next Generation Sequencing Workshop" in Leuven, Belgium
- OCTIPS and AngioPredict, 2 FP7 projects funded by the European Commission, have been launched. The Laboratory for Translational Genetics will contribute to both projects by characterizing the genetic profiles of ovarium (OCTIPS) and colorectal (ANGIOPREDICT) tumors
- Bernard Thienpont joined our team as a post-doctoral researcher. Bernard will work on epigenetic modifications in tumors and its environment under normoxic and hypoxic conditions. Bernard just finished a post-doc in the Babraham Institute in Cambridge
- On July 3, Prof. A.W. Griffioen, from the VUMC Cancer Center in Amsterdam and editor from the journal "Angiogenesis" gave a lecture entitled "Novel ways of angiogenesis inhibition" (poster)
- On July 3, Bart Claes successufully defended his PhD. As from August Bart left us to pursue a career at Biocartis, where he will serve as a Scientist Onoclogy and will be responsible for oncology biomarker assay development
- On July 5, Dr. Burak Kutlu from the Institute for Systems Biology in Seattle (USA) gave a lecture entitled "Dynamical omics analyses of the onset and progression of glioblastoma in a mouse model system" (poster)
- Diether Lambrechts joined the editorial board of "Karakter", a scientific journal issued by KU Leuven